All IMPRS students start with rotations at two different research groups of their choice. At the end of the term they will present their results together with a research proposal and choice of lab at the Thesis Proposal Day (taking place in April/Mai 2017).
Besides a free choice of research topic and lab, the IMPRS for Neural Circuits developed a course program with a large variety of different courses to attend. All courses are awarded with European Credits (EC, 22 in total). All IMPRS students receive an additional document when they graduate showing the courses they attended and the amount of EC collected.
During the rotations the following course program will be organized for the new-generation IMPRS doctoral students:
- Modern Topics in neuroscience (October 2016 till February 2017) in which the key concepts and topics of studies are taught. It includes interactive lectures, master classes by experts, and a round table on animal models. 2.5 EC
- Modern Techniques in neuroscience (April till June 2017) which cover a wide range of modern neuroscience, biological and analytical techniques used to address the relevant questions in neuroscience. 2.5 EC
The following activities are organized throughout the year (Credit points in brackets):
- Neuroscience Lectures to be attended by all IMPRS doctoral students (1 EC)
- Other Lectures like the Ernst Strüngmann Lectures, NeFF or activities from the ICNF. All IMPRS students must at least ten of them a year (0.5 EC)
- Courses on transferable skills offered by the Goethe Graduate Academy (GRADE). All doctoral students should attend at least four workshop days a year. (1.5 EC)
Up till now, we organized two retreats: December 2013 (Prague) and April 2016 (Lisbon) (1 EC)
- Workshops by SciMento (Mentoring for female scientists)
- Language courses (English and German)
- Additional courses in neuroscience or related research: Master of interdisciplinary neuroscience, Master's Program Computational Science (see "Courses offered in Winter 2012/13"), Wellcome Trust, FENS, Society for Neuroscience, Dutch Neurofederation, cognitie.nl, ...
- Exchange programs to work with excellent research groups abroad
Dr. Arjan Vink
Coordinator IMPRS for Neural Circuits
T: +49 69 850033-2900
M: +49 175 2647988