Job offer from June 23, 2021
The Max Planck Institute for Brain Research (MPI for Brain Research) in Frankfurt/Main is a vibrant research institution in the field of basic biological and medical research, with a focus on understanding the functions of the brain’s circuits. Our institute has approx. 300 employees in three research departments and four research groups, as well as several service units.
For amplifying our IT service unit, we are looking for a Network and System Administrator (m/f/d), initially limited to two years with the possibility of extension.
- Administration, operation and support of servers and clients based on Windows (Server 2008R2 - 2012, Windows 7 - 10), Linux (common distributions), Mac OSX, and virtualization using VMWARE ESX clusters
- Installation, configuration and administration of network components (Cisco / DELL) and corresponding knowledge of switching, routing, VLAN, WLAN, firewall
- Administration of our storage (SpectrumScale/NetApp) and backup environment (TSM)
- Responsible for the system stability, data availability and the smooth operation of the IT environment
- Participation in the further development of our IT landscape
- User support and help desk tasks
- Structured documentation of the work
- Successfully completed vocational training in an IT profession (e.g. IT specialist for system integration), or several years of relevant, professional experience
- Very good knowledge of Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS) is essential
- In-depth knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and server family is essential
- In-depth knowledge of storage, ideally SpectrumScale (formerly GPFS) required
- In-depth knowledge network, IT security and backup required
- Solid knowledge of Mac OSX is desirable
- Good knowledge of virtualization and remote desktop technologies is an advantage
- Fluent written and spoken German and English
- Flexible and solution-oriented thinking, independent, structured and responsible working style
- Ability to work in a team and strong communication skills
- Interest in working in a scientific environment
What we offer:
- An attractive environment in a pleasant, friendly working atmosphere with an excellent infrastructure as well as an interesting and varied range of tasks in an ambitious team
- Employment with all benefits of the public service, initially limited to two years with the possibility of deferment
- Continuing education and training
- Company pension plan
- Family service (baby and children's room at the institute, day care center on campus)
- Company health management (e.g. company doctor, sports offers)
- Cafeteria / bistro in the institute
- Good connections to public transportation
- Free parking on the institute’s premises
Compensation is in accordance with the TVöD (German public service) salary scale. Social benefits correspond to those of the public service.
The Max Planck Society aims to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are underrepresented. Women are therefore expressly encouraged to apply. The Max Planck Society strives to employ more severely disabled people. Applications from severely disabled persons are expressly encouraged.
The compatibility of work and family is very important to us; among other things, we offer the possibility of childcare in the immediately neighboring Kita Kairos.
We look forward to receiving your complete and conclusive application documents with details of your salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date in a PDF document by August 15th 2021 on our application platform.