Job offer from May 13, 2022
The Max Planck Institute for Brain Research (MPI for Brain Research) in Frankfurt/Main is a vibrant research institution in the field of basic biological and medical research, with a focus on understanding the functions of the brain’s circuits. Our institute has approx. 300 employees in three research departments and four research groups, as well as several service units.
The Department of Synaptic Plasticity (lab of Erin Schuman) is looking for a Technician (BTA, MTA or equivalent) (m/f/d) initially limited to two years, with the possibility of extension.
The Schuman lab’s research interest is the study of molecular and cellular mechanisms that underlie information processing and storage and animal behavior. Our international team studies the properties of mRNAs and proteins (e.g. the transcriptomes and proteomes) distributed throughout the neuron, with a focus on how local cell biological processes, like protein synthesis, can function to allow synapses to respond rapidly to bring about changes in synaptic function. As technician you will support our team experimentally, will acquire and apply state of the art molecular and cellular biology methods, help to maintain supplies and daily routines and participate in regular group meetings. You will be part of a stimulating and collegial international team including 30 students, postdoctoral fellows and technicians.
- Neuronal cell culture work, including cell feeding and sorting, preparing media
- mRNA FISH
- Immunostainings and microscopy
- Antibody labeling with DNA oligos
- Helping to establish new techniques
- Preparing buffers and solutions
- Helping in chemical synthesis of artificial amino acids
- Handling of experimental animals
- Training and instructing new students
- Keeping an eye on proper functioning of lab equipment
- Preparing and maintaining stocks and databases, e.g. of antibodies and plasmids
- Keeping track of and ordering lab supplies
- Communication with service departments and technicians
- Professional training as BTA, MTA or equivalent
- Well trained in molecular biology techniques and good laboratory practice
- Acquaintance with or willingness to learn new techniques
- Experience with the handling of experimental animals is advantagous
- Good command of the English language
- Good time-management and organizational skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
We are looking for
- A committed, highly motivated and responsible candidate with strong team spirit, who has an interest in the biological questions we are addressing and who enjoys working in a dynamic international scientific context.
- An initial, fixed-term contract of two years
- Position with payment according to German TVöD (Collective Wage Agreement for Government Service Workers -Federal Government) with all benefits of the public service
- A highly interactive atmosphere and support within an international and collaborative researcher team
- A corporate pension plan
- A state-of-the-art technical infrastructure
- Education and training
- Family service (in house baby and kids room, on-campus child day care center)
- In house Cafeteria and Bistro
- Corporate Health Management (e.g. sport courses)
- Free parking on the institute’s premises
The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those fields where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
The compatibility of work and family is very important to us; we offer the possibility of childcare in the kindergarten Kairos close to our institute. For more information, please visit our website.
Please send your full application, including a letter of motivation explaining how your qualifications and experience make you a good candidate for this job, ntogether with a full CV, a reference letter (if available) and related certificates electronically as a single pdf file by June 12th, 2022 on our application platform.