Job offer from July 25, 2022
The Max Planck Institute for Brain Research (MPI for Brain Research) in Frankfurt/Main (www.brain.mpg.de) is a vibrant research institution in the field of basic biological and medical research, with a focus on understanding the functions of the brain’s circuits. Our institute has approx. 300 employees in three research departments and four research groups, as well as several service units.
We are seeking a highly motivated and responsible Technician (BTA/MTA) (m/f/d) with strong team spirit and interest in neuroscientific questions for a shared position within the Imaging facility and the Laurent lab. The position is available immediately in fulltime; part-time solutions with focus on either the Imaging or Laurent lab are negotiable. We strive for a longterm perspective of this position; after an initial time limit of 2 years, there is the possibility for extension to a permanent contract.
The range of tasks of the technician (m/f/d) essentially includes various wet lab work: in the Imaging facility, the focus is on sample preparation for both electron and light microscopy. If interested, participation in microscopy and microscope maintenance is also possible. In the Laurent Lab, activities involve mainly histology, molecular biology, animal experimental work and routine lab organization and administration. All tasks will be conducted as part of a team of researchers and experienced technicians after a solid training period.
- Professional training as technician (BTA/MTA) (m/f/d), or a related qualification (max. Bachelor level)
- Strong interest in the biological questions we are addressing and in work in a dynamic international scientific context
- Good training in standard wet lab techniques and good laboratory practice
- Organizational and planning talent as well as structured work and good time management skills
- Previous experience with sample preparation methods is highly desired but not essential
- Experience with light microscopes is advantageous
- The motivation and ability to learn new techniques (such as tissue clearing, tissue staining or the handling of microscopes) are essential
- Good command of the English language is required
- Willingness to participate in animal experimentation
- An initial, fixed-term contract of two years, with the possibility for extension to a permanent contract
- A position with payment according to German TVöD (Collective Wage Agreement for Government Service Workers - Federal Government) with all benefits of the public service
- A highly interactive atmosphere and support within an international and collaborative team
- Corporate pension plan
- A state-of-the-art technical infrastructure
- Education and training
- Family service (in house baby and kids room, on-campus child day care center)
- In house Cafeteria and Bistro
- Corporate Health Management (e.g. sport courses)
- Free parking on the institute’s premises
The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those fields where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
The compatibility of work and family is very important to us; we offer the possibility of childcare in the kindergarten Kairos close to our institute. For more information, please visit our website: www.brain.mpg.de.
We look forward to receiving your complete and conclusive application documents (in English), including a letter of motivation explaining how your qualifications and experience make you a good candidate (m/f/d) for this job, together with a full CV, reference letters (if available) and related certificates as one single PDF document by September 15th, 2022 on our application platform.
The German version of this job offer is available on our homepage.